Feb 20, 2009

Icarus

After 15 years, I am still not sure what to make of this one, there are parts of it I really like (the first one and last 2 stanzas), but there are parts that I almost think ruin it (the whole middle) I kind of like the last bit by itself, as a standalone piece... Here it is in it's entirety, because if the "intended" audience reads this blog, I feel I owe it to her/them to say it all. Perhaps some day I will break it apart and make it better. But not now.

Flight of Icarus

Funny how time flies
Almost seems to waste away
When you’re “in love.”
It passes by
Like a bird in flight
But you don’t notice it
You’re too “involved.”
Everything she says
is true
Everything she does
is right
So why are you always wrong?

They say that love is blind
Yet it takes so much sight
So much thought.
I used to think that
Love was a sphere
Ever turning
Never ceasing to exist.
But now it feels more like
A triangle
Impossible to balance
And never seeming to roll
Only bounce and topple
In a depressing display
Of hopelessness.

Many people say they’re
“In love.”
But what is love?
Once it was Poetry
Flowers and Chivalry
It meant courting a girl
And respecting her…
For me it still is.

In today’s society
Love means having someone…
To talk with on the phone
For three hours
Complain to your friends about
Someone to fuck on the weekends

Bullshit!
When will you wake up?
Or maybe it is I
Who should wake up.
My path to a girl’s heart
Was through her open arms
No wonder I failed

Maybe I should stop
Take the road not taken
By me
The one upon which today’s youth
Speed by…
Those who believe that
The way to a girl’s heart
Is through her bruises
Emotional
Physical
Maybe that’s how I should do it

But I want
To know her
Not fuck her
Love her
Not lose her
I wanted to spend time with her
Not waste time on her
But I did
I wasted three years
Looking for love
A love that I couldn’t have
Big Surprise!

Funny how time flies
Almost seems to waste away
When you’re “in love.”
It passes by
Like a bird in flight
But you don’t notice it
Until it’s gone
What a fucking waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment