Mar 15, 2009

Waiting

I stand in a daze
staring out at the sea
watching the last of the sun's reassuring light
slip below the horizon

Old scars thought long ago healed
have been torn open once again
the blood staining the sand

I am deafened by Neptune’s constant roar
echoing in my head
speaking words so foreign
yet so familiar

Strength
Power
Serenity

Loss
Betrayal
Chaos

Freedom
Regret
Life
Death

The waves come and go
soaking my feet
washing away the very same debris
that they themselves brought only a moment earlier
but they cannot wash away the stains in the sand

I stand, still dazed
staring out at the sea
feeling the reassuring warmth of the sun
creep above the horizon

The stains are still here
but so am I
still standing
still waiting
still bleeding

I don't know how much longer I can wait
for you to change your mind
when I can’t even make up mine

2 comments:

  1. That last verse gives me chills. I know that feeling very well. Very well indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. the imagery of standing on the beach bleeding into the sand actually came from your piece where you were "counting stars with bleeding fingers." I can't shake that line/image from my head.

    ReplyDelete